Monday, February 20, 2012

I will always love you

No, this is not a post about a singer who had an incredible voice and sang a song called I Will Always Love You. It is however about a deep and abiding love all saga seekers have for one particular primary source. I think it is safe to say that we saga seekers are madly, hopelessly, head over heels, crazy in love with it. Our hearts skip a beat, our heads become dizzy and the hairs on the back of our necks tingle with excitement just at the sight of it.

Of which primary source do I speak?


Oh how I love thee census. Let me count the ways:
A census is a snapshot in time.
A census reveals juicy, delectable tidbits of information.
A census gives us names.
A census gives us birth dates and places.
A census gives us relationships.
A census gives us occupation, residence, literacy, wealth.

I could go on and on forever about this true love.

And here, for your viewing pleasure, is the 1841 Snapshot In Time of Alfred and Ann and their family:

1841 England Census, Alfred Barker household, Warwickshire, Coventry, district 8, folio 35, page 25, ancestry.co.uk, accessed September 2011.

Each piece of information about the Alfred Barker household glitters like diamonds and rubies and sapphires and emeralds, sparkling and shining in the warm rays of glorious sunshine, as beautiful as a finely crafted piece of jewelry.


Phew. Such poetry about a census.

Stay tuned for analysis of this treasure…




2 comments:

  1. Your music and your message on your podcast are well coordinated. I enjoyed listening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more! I love the census.

    ReplyDelete